Historic Markers Across Florida



Miami International Airport



Marker ID: HASF 
Location: At entrance to Pan American World Airways Facilities Bldg., 5300 N. W. 36th St., Miami.
County: Miami-Dade
Coordinates:   
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Miami International Airport
(Formerly Pan American Field)

Here Pan American World Airways amphibians took off on pioneer flights vital in linking the Americas. By Federal order on Oct. 16, 1928, original 116 acres became first customs entry airport on U.S. Atlantic mainland. In 1929, first regular airmail was flown to Nassau Jan. 2; to Puerto Rico Jan. 9. On Feb. 4 Col. Lindbergh inaugurated regular airmail to Panama. In 1931, when Pan American began using flying boats from Dinner Key, Eastern Air Transport here started first scheduled passenger service to New York. In 1945 field was purchased by Dade County, expanded and renamed Miami International Airport.

Historical Association of Southern Florida 1952