Historic Markers Across Florida



Richmond Naval Air Station



Marker ID: HASF 
Location: At entrance to Dade County Zoological Park, 12400 S. W. 152nd St., Miami
County: Miami-Dade
Coordinates:   
Waymark: None
 



Text:

On this site on 15 September 1942 the Richmond Naval Air Station was established as a Lighter-Than-Air facility. Blimps from this station engaged in submarine patrol over the Gulf of Mexico, Caribbean Sea, and nearby Atlantic Ocean. Other activities included training programs for helium operators and night torpedo bomber crews. To house blimps at Richmond, the Navy built three hangars 16.5 stories high and over 1,000 feet in length, among the largest wooden structures in the world. On 15 September 1945, exactly three years after the station was established, a severe hurricane and fire destroyed the hangars along with 368 military and civilian aircraft and 25 blimps placed inside. Winds of 170 mph with gusts to 196 mph were recorded at nearby Homestead Air Force Base. Deactivation of the Richmond Naval Air Station began soon afterward.

Sponsored by the Association of Naval Aviation, Inc. in cooperation with the Historical Association of Southern Florida



Notes:

City: Miami, FL