Historic Markers Across Florida



Silver Bluff



Marker ID: HASF 
Location: Ransom-Everglades School, S. Bayshore Drive, Miami
County: Miami-Dade
Coordinates:   
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Known today as Silver Bluff, this rocky cliff of oolitic limestone, which extends for about two miles along Biscayne Bay, is a major landmark of South Florida. The bluffs were formed by wave action thousands of years ago when the sea level stood several feet higher than at present. One early map showing the bluffs was drawn in 1771 by Bernard Romans, who surveyed the area when it was part of British East Florida (1763- 1783). Landowners along the bluffs in the 1800s included Polly Lewis, R. R. Fitzpatrick, John G. Peacock, and William Brickell. The town of Silver Bluff was incorporated in 1921, but became part of Miami in 1925.

Sponsored by Eastern Airlines in cooperation with the Historical Association of Southern Florida



Notes:

City: Miami, FL