Historic Markers Across Florida



Arch Creek Road Military Trail



Marker ID: FLHM F-469
Location: northern tip Arch Creek Park (FL 916), North Miami, FL
County: Miami-Dade
Coordinates: N 25° 54.150    W 080° 09.645
  25.9025    -80.16075
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMXXTP
 



Text:

Arch Creek Road Military Trail


The Arch Creek State Archaeological Site was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1985. It contains a portion of the Military Trail, a wagon road, built during the Third Seminole War (1855-1859) by the U.S. Army. In 1856 Captains Abner Doubleday (1819-1893) and John Brannan and their troops constructed part of the Military Trail between Fort Dallas on the Miami River and Fort Lauderdale. It later became a portion of the first county road in 1892, passing over the Natural Bridge and Arch Creek. In 1915 it was renamed Dixie Highway. The road was designated a local historic site on January 18, 1995.





F-469 A Florida Heritage Landmark
Sponsored by The City of North Miami Beach, Arch Creek Trust,
and the Florida Department of State
2002