Historic Markers Across Florida



Tile Coconut Grove Library



Marker ID: HASF 
Location: 2875 McFarlane Road, Miami
County: Miami-Dade
Coordinates:   
Waymark: None
 



Text:

The land on which this library stands was given by Commodore Ralph Middleton Munroe, whose first wife lies buried on it.

The library was started by a writer, Kirk Munroe, (no relation) and his wife, Mary Barr Munroe, as a reading group called the Pine Needles Club on June 15, 1895. It became the exchange library on March 27, 1897 and opened at this spot as the Coconut Grove Library on March 6, 1901.

In the early days books were taken by sailboat to Miami for distribution. In 1957 it became a branch of the Miami Public Library and the present building was opened on November 16, 1963.

Coconut Grove Library Association, 1971, Historical Association of Southern Florida


Notes:

City: Miami, FL