Historic Markers Across Florida



Tile Perrine Land Grant



Marker ID:  
Location: In Perrine Wayside Park, U.S. 1 & S. W. 164th Street, Perrine.
County: Miami-Dade
Coordinates:   
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Tile Perrine Land Grant - (Side 1)

In 1838, the United States Congress granted a township of land in the southern extremity of Florida to noted horticulturist Dr. Henry Perrine and his associates. This land was to be used in experiments aimed at introducing foreign tropical plants and seeds into Florida. Although Dr. Perrine did not select a township before his death in 1840, he indicated the area he preferred, and his family later selected the land which came to be called the Perrine Land Grant. Born in 1797, Henry Perrine was trained as a physician. During a visit to Cuba in 1826, he became interested in tropical plants which might be successfully introduced into the southern United States. As American consul in Campeche, Mexico (1827 - 1838), Dr. Perrine began to send Mexican plants to a friend on Indian Key in Florida and to seek government support for future agricultural experiments. (Continued on reverse side)


The Perrine Land Grant - (Side 2)

Eager to find a way to utilize the tropical soils of the south, the leaders of Territorial Florida gave their support to Dr. Perrine in the efforts to obtain land for his project which culminated in the grant of 1838. Events of the Second Seminole War made it impossible for Dr. Perrine to settle on the Floripa mainland in 1838. He took his family to Indian Key to care for his plants and await the war´s end. On August 7, 1840, Indians attacked the Key, killing Dr. Perrine and six others; his family escaped uninjured. Dr. Perrine deserves recognition as a pioneer whose efforts stimulated interest in tropical agriculture in Florida.

Sponsored by Perrine Cutler Ridge Rotary Club in cooperation with Department of State 1973


Notes:


More Information:
Wikipedia - Seminole Wars
Florida Center for Instructional Technology - Seminole Wars