Historic Markers Across Florida



U Of M Opened Here



Marker ID: HASF 
Location: University Court & University Drive, Coral Gables
County: Miami-Dade
Coordinates:   
Waymark: None
 



Text:

On this site in an unfinished building originally intended for a hotel, the University of Miami registered its first students on October 15, 1926. It was twenty years before the University was able to begin the move to the site originally designated for it and given by George E. Merrick, which forms part of the present campus. The old "Cardboard College" which stood here was used until 1967, and then demolished.

Historical Association of Southern Florida 1969