Historic Markers Across Florida



Cushman school



Marker ID:  
Location: on US 1 at NE 60th Street, Miami, FL
County: Miami-Dade
Coordinates: N 25° 49.864    W 080° 11.072
  25.83106666    -80.18453333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM7YX8
 



Text:

Miami´s oldest independent day school was founded by Dr. Laura Cushman in 1924. The school moved to this site in 1926, opening in early October, having sustained only minor damage from the disastrous September Hurricane. The original Mediterranean style classroom was built by Russell Skipton according to Dr. Cushman´s specifications. The classrooms were situated so as to get cross ventilation and the breeze off of Biscayne bay. Windows were added later and many came from the Royal Palm Hotel in downtown Miami. The school bell on the roof was the plantation bell used to call the construction workers to Villa Vizcays.
Dr. Cushman, a firm believer in educational innovation, was a well respected and recognized educator who served as principal for over 52 years. She felt that by developing traits of industry, responsibility, courtesy, honesty and integrity, a child would become a good scholar as well as a good citizen. Her philosophy of character development and educational excellence continue to guide the Cushman school today. In 1992 the United States Department of education recognized the Cushman school as a National School of Excellence.
Sponsored by the class of 1954 and the Historical Association of Southern Florida. - 1924


Notes:

City: Miami, FL