Historic Markers Across Florida



The Barnacle



Marker ID: FLHM F-405
Location: on Main Hwy south of Commodore Plaza, Coconut Grove, FL
County: Miami-Dade
Coordinates: N 25° 43.578    W 080° 14.642
  25.7263    -80.24403333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMKJAF
 



Text:

The Barnacle is one of the oldest homes in Dade County still standing on its original site. It was built in 1891 by Ralph Middleton Munroe, one of Coconut Grove’s most prominent pioneers. He visited South Florida in 1877 and moved to this area in 1881. Commodore Munroe purchased 40 acres of bay front land, including this five acre site. He built the boathouse in 1887 and lived on its upper floor until the main house was completed. In 1894 he married Jenny Wirth. They had two children Patty and Wirth, who were brought up here. This historic site and the original house with its additions were donated to the state of Florida by the Munroe family in 1973.

The Barnacle Society, Inc. and the Florida Department of State