Historic Markers Across Florida



Lemon City Train Station



Marker ID: FLHM F-944
Location: on NE 61st St at the railroad, Miami, FL
County: Miami-Dade
Coordinates: N 25° 49.899    W 080° 11.274
  25.83165    -80.1879
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMXNJE
 



Text:

Lemon City Train Station


Built in 1896, the Lemon City station was located between present-day NE 59th St. and NE 60th St. The wood-frame station was painted yellow with white trim and had a flower garden around it. Henry Flagler had the station built to assist agricultural interests in the area. The depot's location was near local businesses, a school, and the Lemon City docks. As part of the Florida East Coast Railway, the station offered passenger and freight service, and connected Lemon City to other communities in Dade County. The railroad improved transportation, but prompted a mass exodus from Lemon City in the 1890s. Many residents left to find better opportunities in Miami. For businesses that remained, access to the railroad significantly impacted Lemon City by shifting its commercial focus from the port to the station. The commercial district moved west, away from the coast and closer to the railroad. During the early 1900s, new general stores, Dr. DuPuis' office and drugstore, and other buildings were constructed near the station. In 1908, the post office moved to be closer to the railroad. The only remnant of the station is a section of Florida East Coast Railway right-of-way, wide enough to include the building.




F-944
Florida Heritage Site
Sponsored by Mayor Thomas Regalado, The City of Miami
in Coordination with Alexander Adams
and the Florida Department of State
2017