Historic Markers Across Florida



Lemon City Post Office



Marker ID: FLHM F-945
Location: northwest corner of NE 61st St and NE 4th Ct., Miami, FL
County: Miami-Dade
Coordinates: N 25° 49.959    W 080° 11.257
  25.83265    -80.18761666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMXNJA
 



Text:

Lemon City Post Office


The first post office in Lemon City opened on October 1, 1889, in one corner of Moffat's bayside store. E.L. White was appointed the first postmaster. Lemon City quickly became an active mail center, so much so that the Tropical Sun reported in 1891 that “Lemon City receives more mail… than any other office on Biscayne Bay.” Often the mail was dropped off by ship or train in Lemon City on its way to Miami further south. The post office operated out of the Moffat store until 1891, when it moved to another local store following a quarrel between the postmaster, Garry Niles, and the Moffat Family. During Niles' tenure as postmaster, the post office moved repeatedly, usually to different stores. It moved into its own building in 1905 under the management of E.L. Eaton, and again in 1910 following the appointment of a new postmaster. During the post office's 36 years of operation, it moved nine times and had twelve postmasters. Three were women, the first postmistress being Louibelle Goode in 1914. The post office operated independently until 1925, when it became part of the Miami postal system following the annexation of Lemon City. The branch continued to operate until 1974, when it was permanently closed.




F-945
Florida Heritage Site
Sponsored by Mayor Thomas Regalado, The City of Miami
in Coordination with Alexander Adams
and the Florida Department of State
2017