Historic Markers Across Florida



Long Key Fishing Club



Marker ID: FLHM 
Location: along U.S. 1
County: Monroe
Coordinates: N 24° 48.249    W 080° 50.831
  24.80415    -80.84718333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM6HJ9
 



Text:

Henry M. Flagler began construction on the Key West Extension of the Florida East Coast Railroad southward from Homestead in 1905. Despite destructive hurricanes in 1906, 1909, and 1910, the Key West Extension was completed in January 1912 at a cost of $49 million. With completion of Long Key Viaduct, the first bridge built on the line and the trademark of the East Coast Railroad, Flagler´s East Coast Hotel Company established the Long Key Fishing Club in 1906. This "Garden of Eden" soon became the mecca for the world´s greatest saltwater anglers Zane Grey, writer and pioneer of Florida Keys fishing, was president of the exclusive Long Key Fishing Club which consisted of the Lodge, decorated with matchless displays of mounted Florida game fish, guest cottages and storehouses. The accommodations and service were of the highest quality. One of the principal aims of the Club was the cessation of wholesale destruction of game fish species. Because of his leadership and contributions to the development of Long Key, the crystal clear stream running in from the Atlantic to the boundaries of this park was named Zane Grey Creek. On September 2, 1935, a hurricane swept the Florida Keys destroying the Long Key Fishing Club and ending operation of the Key West Extension.

Sponsors: Florida Board of Parks and Historic Memorials


Notes:

City: Long Key, FL