Historic Markers Across Florida



Key West, South Florida's Oldest City



Marker ID: FLHM 
Location: Duval & Front Sts.
County: Monroe
Coordinates:   
Waymark: None
 



Text:

The first owner of Cayo Hueso, now Key West, was Juan P. Salas of St. Augustine who received it as a Spanish grant in 1815. In Havana, on December 20, 1821, Salas sold the island to an American businessman, John W. Simonton, for $2,000. Simonton and associates sent a party of men with supplies to the island and on January 19, 1822, took possession of it establishing the first permanent community in South Florida.

Sponsors: Erected by Old Island Restoration Foundation In Cooperation With Department of State


Notes:

City: Key West, FL