Historic Markers Across Florida



Convent of Mary Immaculate - (1878)



Marker ID: FLHM F-78
Location: Truman Avenue between Simonton and Margaret Street
County: Monroe
Coordinates: N 24° 33.164    W 081° 47.792
  24.55273333    -81.79653333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM3YVH
 



Text:

Convent Of Mary Immaculate
(1878)-

Built by the Sisters of the Holy Names of Jesus and Mary, a Canadian Order which first established a school here in 1868. Designed by William Kerr of Ireland, of Romanesque style, with dormered, mansard roofs and central tower. In the Spanish- American War the Sisters offered their services as nurses and the Convent to the Navy as a hospital and rendered devoted service to the wounded and yellow fever victims.





F-78 Florida Board of Parks and Historic Memorials. 1962



Notes:

City: Key West, FL