Historic Markers Across Florida



Key West Cemetery



Marker ID: FLHM F-551
Location: at the intersection of Passover Lane and Angela St, Key West, FL
County: Monroe
Coordinates: N 24° 33.399    W 081° 47.776
  24.55665    -81.79626666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Key West Cemetery was founded in 1847 following a hurricane the previous year that destroyed the earlier cemetery located near present day Higgs Beach. To protect from future flooding, the 19-acre cemetery was located here on Solares Hill, the highest natural elevation in Key West. An estimated 75,000 people are interred here, divided among parcels that reflect the cultural diversity that continues to characterize the city of Key West today. The cemetery contains a historic Catholic section, Jewish section, the U.S.S. Maine Plot dedicated in 1900, and the Los Martires de Cuba, a memorial for those who fought in the 1868 Cuban revolution. In addition to these defined areas, African Americans, Cubans and Americans, rich and poor, are interred throughout. In-ground and crypt style graves range from simple concrete copings filled with soil to elaborate monuments. Plot enclosures of wrought iron, wood, or concrete were often used to mark family plots.

Sponsors: Historic Florida Keys Foundation, The City of Key West and the Florida Department of State


Notes:

City: Key West, FL