Historic Markers Across Florida



Naval Station 1823-1974



Marker ID: FLHM 
Location: on Front St north of Caroline St, Key West, FL
County: Monroe
Coordinates: N 24° 33.423    W 081° 48.399
  24.55705    -81.80665
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM6HBF
 



Text:

Commodore David Porter established a Naval Station here on April 3, 1823 as a supply Base for his 17-ship Anti-Pirate Squadron. The Station remained in constant operation from that date until its disestablishment on March 31, 1974. Although its function has varied over the years it has operated through seven conflicts with its personnel reaching from a low of 17 military in 1932 to over 15,000 military and 3000 civilians in 1945.


Notes:

City: Key West, FL