Historic Markers Across Florida



Old City Hall



Marker ID:  F-601
Location: Ann St at Greene St, Key West, FL
County: Monroe
Coordinates: N 24° 33.565    W 081° 48.274
  24.55941666    -81.80456666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM6HAA
 



Text:

The City of Key West acquired this lot in 1871 and built a wood-frame city hall, dedicating it on July 4, 1876, during the nations Centennial. That building stood until it burned down in the devastating fire of 1886. The City then constructed this brick edifice between 1890 and 1892. Scott, McDermott & Higgs designed the structure, while Russell & Harvey built it. The ground floor with wide arches and supporting columns accommodated market stalls, then fire engines. The upper floor, dominated by the City Commission chambers, also housed City offices. Over the years, the building was altered, including the removal of the bell tower. Monroe County acquired the property in 1965 to house its juvenile court. In 1974, the State of Florida acquired the building, and the Historic Florida Keys Preservation Board spearheaded its restoration. The bell tower was restored in 1976 during the Bicentennial. Restoration efforts continued through the 1980s, leading to the rededication of Old City Hall in 1991. Sweeping granite stairs and an ornate iron balustrade distinguish the buildings entrance, while high ceilings, large windows, and wainscoting grace the historic interior.

The Historic Florida Keys Foundation and The Florida Department of State 2007


Notes:

City: Key West, FL