Historic Markers Across Florida



E.H. Gato Cigar Factory



Marker ID: FLHM F-701
Location: At the intersection of Simonton St and Virginia Sts in Key West, FL
County: Monroe
Coordinates: N 24° 33.052    W 081° 47.834
  24.55086666    -81.79723333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMM0MN
 



Text:

Eduardo Gato Cigar Factor


The Gato Cigar Factory was constructed by Eduardo H. Gato in 1916. This Neo-Classical Revival, poured-concrete structure with a large central courtyard was constructed after an earlier wood frame factory on this site burned. Numerous windows provided much needed light for the workers. It is also one of the earliest American integrated workplaces where Cuban, African, and Bahamian-Americans, and whites worked side by side while their children attended the same school. Small cottages were built near the factory to house the workers, and became an area known as Gatoville. The factory was a political center as workers raised funds to support efforts to free Cuba from Spain. The cigar industry was critical to Key West’s economy just before the 20th century, but declined in the early 1900’s as cigar manufacturers moved to Tampa. In 1942 the Gato factory was sold to the Department of the Navy for use as a military barracks and cafeteria, and later served as the Navy Commissary until 1989. In 1998 Monroe County obtained the property, and in 2001 completed a rehabilitation to make the building home to Monroe County Offices, a cigar museum, and the Florida State Health Department.






F-701 The Historic Florida Keys Foundation
and the Florida Department of State
2010