Historic Markers Across Florida



Road and Ferry



Marker ID:  
Location: on Overseas Highway, approximately Mile Marker 75, Islamorada, FL
County: Monroe
Coordinates: N 24° 50.86    W 080° 44.586
  24.84766666    -80.7431
Style: Mounted **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Road and Ferry


In April, 1926, Monroe County began construction of a road on the east end of Upper Matecumbe to connect with other islands. It eventually made it possible to drive to Key West by using a ferry.

The first car drove to Key West on Jan. 25 1928 by boarding a ferry here at today's Boy Scout Sea Base and crossing 40 miles of water to No Name Key.

Later the ferry docked at Grassy Key, traveling by road to the west end of today's Marathon. From there a ferry crossed to No Name Key.

It was on the Morning of March 9, 1938 that the daughter of the Cuban Council cut the ribbon opening the road without the ferries by using the widened railway bridges.

A toll booth was erected here to collect $1 for car and driver and 25 cents for each additional passenger. The toll was removed in 1954.