Historic Markers Across Florida



Jewfish Creek Bridge



Marker ID: FLHM F-747
Location: on Yacht Club Dr under the new bridge (US 1), Key Largo, FL
County: Monroe
Coordinates: N 25° 11.007    W 080° 23.203
  25.18345    -80.38671666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMXKDB
 



Text:

Jewfish Creek Bridge


A swing span bridge once crossed Jewfish Creek just beyond this location. Early in the construction of Henry Flagler's Overseas Railway from the Mainland to Key West, Jewfish Creek was identified as a critical site along the route. In 1905, beginning at the Miami Terminal Docks, a supply line running south transported supplies from Biscayne Bay to Jewfish Creek. To complete the dredge and fill needed to build the railway between Homestead and the Keys, a pair of excavators started from Homestead and moved southwest towards Jewfish Creek, while another pair from Key Largo moved toward them in the opposite direction. By December 9, 1906, tracks from Homestead to Jewfish Creek were completed. The steel deck girder swing span bridge was assembled at the Miami Terminal Docks and was completed in December 1906. The bridge was shipped down the railway for installation at Jewfish Creek, and by early February 1907, it was fully operational. Several railway-related buildings were located at Jewfish Creek, including an agent's house, telegraph station, and laborers' houses. The swing bridge was replaced by a bascule bridge in 1944, which was replaced by the current bridge in 2008.




F-747
Florida Heritage Site
Sponsored by the Florida Department of Transportation
and the Florida Department of State
2012