Historic Markers Across Florida



Naval Depot and Storehouse-Building One-U.S. Coast Guard Headquarters



Marker ID: FLHM F-884
Location: Front of the Clinton Square Market at 291 Front St, Key West, FL
County: Monroe
Coordinates: N 24° 33.519    W 081° 48.405
  24.55865    -81.80675
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMZ6RC
 



Text:

Naval Depot and Storehouse
Building One
U.S. Coast Guard Headquarters


On September 13, 1833, the United States government purchased this harbor-front lot. The Naval Depot was authorized by an Act of Congress on July 21, 1852. Capt. J. M. Scarritt and Lt. J. J. Philbrick supervised the construction of this building. By 1856 the brick walls were laid in common bond pattern, and the roof was completed in 1861. During the Civil War, the Union’s West Indies Blockade Squadron was headquartered here. Distinguished by a buttressed brick pier arcade of 17 bays, the Naval Depot retains its original lookout cupola, masonry exterior, gable roof, and interior loft space. Known as Building Number One, it served as the Naval Administration Building until 1932. On December 15, 1932, the offices of the 7th Lighthouse District opened in this building. By 1939 the Lighthouse Service, as part of the U.S. Coast Guard, continued to use the Naval Depot as its Key West Station headquarters. In recognition of its significance in America’s military history through the Civil War, Spanish-American War and two world wars, the Naval Depot and Storehouse was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1973 and remains Key West’s oldest brick structure.





F-884 A Florida Heritage Site
Building One Key West, LLC
and the Florida Department of State
2016