Historic Markers Across Florida



St. Peter's Church (Episcopal)



Marker ID: FLHM F-50
Location: Atlantic Avenue, next to church
County: Nassau
Coordinates: N 30° 40.247    W 081° 27.506
  30.67078333    -81.45843333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM3M1K
 



Text:

The church was organized as a mission in 1858 and was consecrated the following year by the Rt. Rev. Francis Huger Rutledge, first Bishop of Florida. During the War it was used by Federal forces occupying Fernandina and many of its interior possessions were lost. The building was restored to sacred use during the Reconstruction Period, but was destroyed by fire in 1892. The present neo-Gothic church was completed in 1893.


Notes:

City: Fernandina Beach, FL