Historic Markers Across Florida



Phelan-Verot House Built Prior to 1866



Marker ID: FLHM F-419
Location: on 4th St between Alachua and Broome Streets, Fernandina Beach, FL
County: Nassau
Coordinates: N 30° 40.377    W 081° 27.705
  30.67295    -81.46175
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM482K
 



Text:

On February 5, 1875, Jean-Pierre Augustin Verot, Bishop of Saint Augustine, purchased this cottage from Sarah Phelan. The Sisters of Saint Joseph lived here in the year 1877, when a devastating epidemic of yellow fever swept over the Amelia Island community. From this place, for three weeks as the epidemic raged, the small coterie of sisters risked their lives, night and day, as they nursed the stricken of every race, Catholic, non-Catholic, rich and poor. They offered comfort and prayers for the sick and dying, and even helped bury the dead. Grateful citizens thereafter called them “Angels of Mercy.” Mother Celenie and Sister de Sales, young French nuns far from their motherhouse in LePuy, France, died of the fever. They rest in Bosque Bello Cemetery, their graves marked with simple stone crosses bearing the date 1877.

Sponsors: The Amelia Island Fernandina Restoration and the Florida Department of State - 1999


Notes:

City: Amelia Island, FL