Historic Markers Across Florida



Amelia Island Lighthouse



Marker ID:  
Location: At the end of Calhoun Street, Fernandina Beach, FL
County: Nassau
Coordinates: N 30° 40.395    W 081° 26.548
  30.67325    -81.44246666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM8VAT
 



Text:

"Standing at the highest point on the island, the Amelia Island Lighthouse was built from bricks re-used from the Cumberland Island Lighthouse in 1839 on land purchased from Mary Fernandez. The 67 foot tall lighthouse has walls four feet thick at the base tapering to two feet at the top. It is the only dual-wall construction lighthouse remaining from Florida´s territorial period. First lit by whale oil, the light is now a third order Freshnel Lens made in Paris and visible 15 miles. This lighthouse is the oldest, still operational lighthouse in Florida and is the westernmost lighthouse on the east coast of the United States. The first keeper, Amos Latham, was a Corporal in the 1st Connecticut Regiment in the Revolution."

Florida State Society Daughters of the American Revolution, Jean Dixon Mann, State Regent 2003-2005


Notes:

Wikipedia - 1Amelia Island Light