Historic Markers Across Florida



McClure's Hill



Marker ID:  
Location: N 14th St near Leon St, Fernandina Beach, FL
County: Nassau
Coordinates: N 30° 40.928    W 081° 26.965
  30.68213333    -81.44941666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM482N
 



Text:

Site of the Battle of Amelia, September 13, 1817. On this hill, Spaniards erected a battery of four brass cannon. With about 300 men, supported by two gunboats, they shelled Fernandina, held by Jared Irwin, adventurer and former Penna. Congressman. His "Republic of Florida" forces numbered 94, the privateers Morciana and St. Joseph, and the armed schooner Jupiter. Spanish gunboats commenced firing at 3:30 P.M., and the battery on this hill joined the cannonade. Guns of Fort San Carlos, on the river bluff northwest of here, and those of the St. Joseph defended Amelia Island. Cannon balls killed two and wounded other Spanish troops concentrated below this hill. Firing continued until dark. The Spanish commander, convinced he could not capture the island, withdrew his forces.

The General Duncan L. Clinch Historical Society of Amelia Island, Florida