Historic Markers Across Florida



Fort Walton



Marker ID: FLHM 
Location: on U.S. 98, 1.5 Blocks West of Brooks Bridge
County: Okaloosa
Coordinates:   
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Originally called Camp Walton, this Confederate installation, constructed in 1861 to guard East Pass, was garrisoned by a company of Florida militia called the "Walton Guards". Several small skirmishes with federal landing parties occurred near here. The Camp was abandoned following the Confederate evacuation of Pensacola, and the garrison, a part of the First Florida Infantry Regiment, was assigned to duty on the Tennessee front in early 1862.


Notes:

City: Fort Walton Beach, FL