Historic Markers Across Florida



Okaloosa County



Marker ID: FLHM F-233
Location: 101 East James Lee Boulevard, Crestview, FL
County: Okaloosa
Coordinates: N 30° 45.661    W 086° 34.337
  30.76101666    -86.57228333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMKD9N
 



Text:

Okaloosa County, created by the Florida State Legislature in 1915, was formed from parts of Santa Rosa and Walton Counties. The influence of W.H. Mapoles, Sr., then a legislative representative from Walton County, was an important factor in the creation of the county. The name chosen for the new county was derived from Indian words variously interpreted as " black water," "pleasant place," or "a place of rest." The first county seat was Milligan, a sawmill town. In 1917, Crestview was selected as the permanent county seat. Okaloosa County´s economy is based on agriculture, forestry, and tourism.

Sponsors: Sponsored by Board of County commissioners, Okaloosa County in cooperation with Department of State


Notes:

City: Crestview, FL