Historic Markers Across Florida



Oldest Masonic Lodge Building In Continuous Use In Florida



Marker ID: FLHM 
Location: U.S. 441
County: Orange
Coordinates:   
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Masonic Lodge #36 of the Grand Jurisdiction of Florida was established in 1856 and is still serving under a warrant issued that year. This building was erected here in 1859; the upper story has been continually used for lodge meetings. The original lower floor was used as post office, school, church and general store. Masons from miles around visited the community, which was known as The Lodge until the Town of Apopka City was chartered in 1882. In 1952, due to the effects of deterioration and highway widening, the lower story was removed and replaced. Orange Lodge #36 is a "Moon Lodge" and meets on or before the full moon and two weeks thereafter.

Sponsors: sponsored by the city of Apopka Bicentennial Committee In cooperation with Department of State


Notes:

City: Apopka, FL