Historic Markers Across Florida



Carpentry Shop Museum



Marker ID:  
Location: marker and museum are on the grounds of Lake Lily Park. Marker is at or near this postal address: 820 Lake Lily Drive, Maitland FL
County: Orange
Coordinates: N 28° 37.247    W 081° 21.995
  28.62078333    -81.36658333
Style: Interpretative Sign **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

This historic workshop, built around 1883, was the site of William H. Waterhouse's woodworking and construction business. A pioneer settler and carpenter, Mr. Waterhouse built many of the early homes in Maitland and constructed the pews for the First Presbyterian Church of Maitland, erected in 1885. William Waterhouse helped build the town of Maitland both literally and figuratively as a well-respected carpenter and town alderman for 36 years. His carpentry shop houses woodworking tools and continues to pass on the tradition of craftsmanship through tours and hands-on programs.

The Carpentry Shop Museum is operated by the Maitland Historical Society. It was restored through the generous support of the State of Florida, Division of Historical Resources, the City of Maitland, and the Maitland Historical Society.


Erected by the Maitland Historical Society.