Historic Markers Across Florida



Fort Christmas



Marker ID: FLHM F-252
Location: S.R. 420, near mile marker 11.832
County: Orange
Coordinates: N 28° 33.723    W 081° 01.304
  28.56205    -81.02173333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMFTZ
 



Text:

Fort Christmas


As white settlers moved into Florida in the 1820´s and 1830´s, there were growing demands that the Seminole Indians be removed to a reservation west of the Mississippi. Efforts to convince the Seminoles to move failed, and in 1835 the conflict known as the Second Seminole War began in earnest. Late in 1837, Maj. Gen. Thomas S. Jesup, overall commander in Florida, began intensive preparations to carry the fighting to south Florida, where he believed he would find a large force of hostile Indians. These preparations included opening a road on the west side of the St. Johns River and building along the road several posts to serve as depots for operations to the south. On December 25, 1837, troops under the command of Brig. Gen. Abraham Eustis established Fort Christmas on the north side of a creek a short distance from here. General Jesup himself led the column south from Fort Christmas early in January. By late January Jesup´s troops were receiving their supplies by water from the St. Lucie River, and in March Fort Christmas was abandoned. While this simple wooden fortification was short-lived, it gave its name to the town of Christmas, a short distance south of here.






F-252 Orange County Historical Commission
and the Florida Department of State
1976



Notes:

City: Christmas, FL
More Information:
Wikipedia - Seminole Wars
Florida Center for Instructional Technology - Seminole Wars

Fort Christmas Historical Park)