Historic Markers Across Florida



Conway United Methodist Church/Brick Road



Marker ID:  
Location: on S Conway Rd at Anderson Rd, Orlando, FL
County: Orange
Coordinates: N 28° 30.126    W 081° 19.842
  28.5021    -81.3307
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMK6TW
 



Text:

Conway United Methodist Church


The Conway Methodist Church was first organized in 1874 as the Prospect Methodist Episcopal Church South. Services were held monthly in a log cabin and led be a circuit rider. The building also served as the school and a gathering place for social activities in the community. The social life centered around a log structure of small dimensions built in 1875. The Morgan Mizell family deeded two acres at the southeast corner of Conway Road and Anderson Road for the church, parsonage, and cemetery. The original log cabin was located east of the structure that borders the intersection. On September 13, 1884, the name of the church was changed from Prospect to Conway and on January 7, 1885, the Conway circuit was created at the conference held in Gainesville. The circuit included Lake Howell, Pine Castle, Lake Irma, and Conway. Fifty two ministers served the church in the 65 years of its history to 1939 for periods of time varying from 3 months to 3 years. A clapboard structure replaced the log cabin in 1881 and stayed in service until 1960. Prayer meetings would be held at the neighbor's houses during the week, usually on Wednesday nights.


Brick Road


Conway Road was built in 1871 to connect Orlando with the tiny community. In the early 1880's. Mr. Frederick G. May lived on the east side of South Fern Creek Drive at Waterwitch. Everything was hauled in those days by oxen and horses. Mr. May started the first passenger and freight service between Conway, Lake Underhill and Orlando. Two times per week, this line carried private mail, cash commissions and 50 pound lumps of ice which sold for one cent per pound. Fare from Conway to Orlando was 25 cents or round trip 40 cents. In 1914, the entire seven-mile road was bricked and made nine feet wide. It was one of the first paved highways in Orange County running along what is now Briercliff Drive, Curry Ford Road, and Conway Road ending at Anderson Road.
Richard T. Crotty, Mayor-Linda A. Stewart, Commissioner District 4-Orange County Board of County Commissioners