Historic Markers Across Florida



The Cathedral Church of Saint Luke



Marker ID: FLHM F-859
Location: on the corner of Jefferson St and Magnolia Ave, Orlando, FL
County: Orange
Coordinates: N 28° 32.669    W 081° 22.657
  28.54448333    -81.37761666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMQ5EF
 



Text:

Francis Wayles Eppes, grandson of President Thomas Jefferson, moved from Tallahassee to Orlando in 1869. Eppes was the first pioneer to gather Episcopal settlers in the area for worship. They purchased this site at the corner of Jefferson Street, so named after Eppe's grandfather, in 1882 for $300 and built a small wood frame church. In 1884 Saint Luke became a parish church. In October 1892, the Missionary Jurisdiction of Southern Florida was established, and Rt. Rev. William Crane Gray became its first bishop. In 1902, Saint Luke became the cathedral for his jurisdiction. In 1922, Saint Luke continued as the cathedral for the newly admitted Episcopal Diocese of South Florida. This Gothic Revival building was designed by architect Phillip H. Frohman, who also served as the chief architect of the Washington National Cathedral. Construction began in 1925. In 1970, the Diocese of South Florida was divided with Saint Luke continuing as the cathedral for the Diocese of Central Florida. Saint Luke Cathedral's choirs have toured the world as cultural ambassadors of the United States and the City of Orlando.

Members of the Cathedral Church of Saint Luke,
and the Florida Department of State