Historic Markers Across Florida



Atlantic Coastline Station



Marker ID: FLHM F-904
Location: front of the station on Sligh Blvd at Copeland Dr., Orlando, FL
County: Orange
Coordinates: N 28° 31.572    W 081° 22.895
  28.5262    -81.38158333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMTRNV
 



Text:

Atlantic Coastline Station


(side 1)
In 1880, the South Florida Railroad built a railway through Orlando. The small community boomed with land speculators, citrus and cattle investors, and tourists. In 1902, the larger Atlantic Coastline Railroad acquired the South Florida Railroad. Although three earlier Orlando stations were located on Church Street, Atlantic Coastline hired architect M.A. Griffith to design a new station on Sligh Boulevard in 1926. Griffith traveled the Pacific Coast and drew inspiration from Spanish architecture and colonial parish churches. The W.T. Hadlow Construction Company of Jacksonville received a $300,000 construction contract for the Spanish Mission style building. Twin bell towers, arches, parapet, and tile roof reflect this influence. Griffith designed the letters of "ORLANDO" over the west entrance arch. When the station was dedicated in January 1927, it attracted a crowd of more than 6,000 and became an immediate icon. The racially segregated station included a separate waiting room with ticket windows and restrooms for African American passengers on the south side of the building. Built-in curved wooden settees, once featured in both waiting rooms, remain only in the current waiting room.
(Continued on other side)

(side 2)
Known historically as the Atlantic Coastline Railroad Station, this building represented the city's efforts to encourage tourism in Orlando during the 1920s Florida Land Boom. Since its opening, the station has served as a passenger terminal for residents, visitors, and workers. The words "Seaboard Coast Line" on the east arched parapet replaced "Atlantic Coast Line" after the two rail companies merged in 1967. The station was documented by the Historic American Buildings Survey with six drawing sheets archived in the Library of Congress. On February 27, 1978, it was designated as an Orlando Historic Landmark. An extensive renovation began in 2014 to restore the station including the original wood doors and windows. Careful research revealed original colors of the building, window sills, and domes. In 2015, the project won the City of Orlando's Historic Preservation award for Outstanding Commercial Rehabilitation. The station is considered the largest and finest example of Mission Revival architecture in Central Florida and is the only train station of this style in the state. The station serves Amtrak's Silver Meteor and Silver Star Lines and the SunRail commuter train.






F-904 The City of Orlando
and the Florida Department of State
2016