Historic Markers Across Florida



The Desert Inn



Marker ID: FLHM F-369
Location: State Highway 441 and State Road 60.
County: Osceola
Coordinates: N 27° 42.000    W 080° 54.278
  27.7    -80.90463333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM40XZ
 



Text:

The Desert Inn was founded as a trading post in the late 1880s. The present building dates before 1925 and served as a supply and recreational center for cattle drovers, lumber men and tourists during the era when much of Osceola County was still undeveloped wilderness. Cowmen working the free ranging cattle on the palmetto prairie and lumber men cutting timber in the nearby pine lands came to the Desert Inn to eat, drink, and dance at this “oasis” where they could enjoy some relief from their arduous labors. Local patrons of the trading post and restaurant included African Americans and Seminoles, who had separate dining facilities in the era of segregation. The construction of roads in the 1930s brought tourists to the area, and a set of overnight cabins were erected behind the original building. Today the Desert Inn continues to be a popular destination for tourists and local residents. It was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1994.

Sponsors: The Desert Inn and the Florida Department of State - 1996


Notes:

City: Yeehaw Junction, FL