Historic Markers Across Florida



Sugar Belt Railway/VFW Post



Marker ID: FLHM F-845
Location: 915 New York Ave., St Cloud, FL
County: Osceola
Coordinates: N 28° 14.969    W 081° 17.007
  28.24948333    -81.28345
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMRP97
 



Text:

Sugar Belt Railway/VFW Post


The Sugar Belt Railway Line, built in 1889 by Hamilton Disston, transported sugar and citrus between the town of Narcoossee and Kissimmee. The train made the return trip after being reversed on a turntable at Narcoossee operated by muscle power. The rail line ran through what would become the town of St. Cloud, which was surveyed and platted in 1909 as a result of its location, south of Lake Tohopekaliga and near the railroad. St. Cloud was intended for veterans of the Civil War, and was known as “The Soldier City." In 1910, a wood-frame depot building was erected to handle passenger and freight service. The building also served as a welcome center for new members of the community arriving on the train. The women of St. Cloud began putting books and magazines in the depot, thereby beginning the town’s first library. In 1925, the Sugar Belt Railway, as part of the Atlantic Coast Line, built a new brick building where the old wood frame building stood. The depot ceased to operate in 1942 because of dwindling traffic between Kissimmee and Narcoossee. The Veterans of the Foreign Wars Post 3227 purchased the building to use as their post headquarters in 1943.

The St. Cloud Main Street,
City of St. Cloud and the
Florida Department of State