Historic Markers Across Florida



Orange Grove House of Refuge No. 3 - 1876-1927



Marker ID: FLHM F-148
Location: along A1A near Coconut Rd, Delray Beach, FL
County: Palm Beach
Coordinates: N 26° 27.520    W 080° 03.469
  26.45866666    -80.05781666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM7CYQ
 



Text:

Orange Grove House of Refuge No. 3


One of several built by Treasury Department between Cape Canaveral and Cape Florida for rescue and sustenance of shipwrecked. Named for the wild sour orange grove nearby. H.D. Pierce, first keeper arrived with family May 1876. Here August 15, 1876, was born the first white girl between Jupiter and Miami-(Mrs.) Lillie Pierce Voss. Stephen N. Andrews was last keeper, from September 1877 to October 1 1896. Area's first post office, Zion was located in house from 1888 to 1892, Mrs. Annie E. Andrews postmaster, House burned March 2, 1297






F-148
National Society, Daughters of the American Revolution,
Jonathan Dickinson chapter.
And the
Florida Board of Parks and Historical memorials
1967



Notes:

City: Delray Beach, FL