Historic Markers Across Florida



Palm Beach Junior College



Marker ID: FLHM F-248
Location: at the administration building, 6th Ave. S. & Congress Ave., Lake Worth, FL
County: Palm Beach
Coordinates: N 26° 36.731    W 080° 05.187
  26.61218333    -80.08645
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM1EHT
 



Text:

Palm Beach Junior College
Florida’s First Public Junior Collage


The earliest junior colleges in Florida were established under private auspices, beginning in 1907 with Palmer College at DeFuniak Springs. The first public junior college was instituted by the Palm Beach County school board during the Depression years to make college opportunities available to those local high school graduates unable to meet the expenses of attending school away from home. Palm Beach Junior College admitted its first students in 1933. Its first goal was to provide two years of acceptable college work. Soon it also offered career or vocational education for persons desiring to work after graduation and adult education programs. In 1939, state legislation provided legal status for the junior college program by authorizing county school boards to organize and maintain such institutions using county school funds. In 1947, Palm Beach Junior College began to receive state assistance under new legislation. Beginning in the 1950's the junior college program in Florida began to expand, aided by the long-term plans of the Community College council created in 1955. The educational goals of Palm Beach Junior College served as a model for Florida's developing community college program.





F-248
Plam Beach Junior College
and the Florida Department of State
1976



Notes:

City: Lake Worth, FL