Historic Markers Across Florida



El Cid Neighborhood



Marker ID: FLHM F-390
Location: South Flagler Drive at Pershing Way, West Palm Beach, FL
County: Palm Beach
Coordinates: N 26° 41.432    W 080° 02.996
  26.69053333    -80.04993333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM7HHW
 



Text:

El Cid Neighborhood


In 1876, Benjamin Lanehart homesteaded land that is now the North end of El Cid. He started the first commercial pineapple operation in the area, and this fruit soon dominated the local agriculture. Soon afterward, Elizabeth Wilder Moore settled just South of Lanehart. By the turn of the century, competition and plant disease ruined the pineapple business.

The El Cid Neighborhood was a produce of the 1920's Florida Land Boom era. Pittsburgh socialite John Phipps (1874-1958), the son of Andrew Carnegie's partner in U.S. steel, assembled these old pineapple fields to develop the district. Beginning in 1921, independent builders sold expensive Mediterranean Revival and Mission-style homes on most of the available lots. It's proximity to downtown and the shore of Lake Worth attracted affluent business, political and social leaders who dominated the city's development in the 1920's and 1930's. Phipps named his development El Cid after the celebrated medieval Spanish hero, Rodrigo Diaz de Vivar. His Moorish enemies called him "Cid", an Arabic word meaning lord.
The EL Cid District is listed on The National Register of Historic Places.






F-390 The El Cid Neighborhood Association
and The Florida Department of the state.
1998



Notes:

City: Lake Worth, FL

El Cid Historic Neighborhood Association