Historic Markers Across Florida



Sawfish Bay



Marker ID: FLHM F-587
Location: 1133 North Alternate A1A, Jupiter, FL
County: Palm Beach
Coordinates: N 26° 56.647    W 080° 05.539
  26.94411666    -80.09231666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM5JC1
 



Text:

Sawfish Bay


The waterfront location of today's Sawfish Bay Park played a
major role in the prehistoric and historic settlement of the Jupiter
area. First inhabited during the Archaic Period 5,000 years ago,
this site provided access to an intricate transportation system
within the Everglades region. Marine life sustained these early
peoples until contact with European diseases devastated the local population in the 1700s.The earliest historic written record of
human activity on the site was the Cabot home, first settled by
Frederick M. Cabot II in 1892.By 1894 this site became the center
of commerce when a railroad spur, which is still evident, connected the wharves, general stores, depots ,post office, granary, fish
house and warehouses that followed shifted the town west from
the southern banks of the Jupiter inlet. The Jupiter School, built
here in 1901 next to the home of the first mayor, John Ziegler
was used until 1910.The pioneer children were transported to
school in a lifeboat from the battleship USS Maine, which exploded
in Havana Harbor in 1898, igniting the Spanish American War.
The large Cabot Oak on property is over 200 years old.





F-587
A Florida Heritage Site
Town of Jupiter and the
Florida Department of State
2006



Notes:

City: Jupiter, FL