Historic Markers Across Florida



South Lake Worth Inlet



Marker ID: FLHM F-596
Location: in Ocean Inlet Park off FL A1A-6990 North Ocean Blvd., Ocean Ridge, FL
County: Palm Beach
Coordinates: N 26° 32.713    W 080° 02.660
  26.54521666    -80.04433333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMRV8M
 



Text:

South Lake Worth Inlet


The South Lake Worth Inlet was constructed between 1925 and 1927 to improve water quality and circulation between the south end of Lake Worth and the Atlantic Ocean. The first inlet to Lake Worth was cut in the mid-19th century at the north end of the barrier island of Palm Beach, and was stabilized for navigation in 1917. Though not originally designed for navigation, the South Lake Worth Inlet has become a highly popular passage for fishing boats, pleasure boats, and other small craft. One of the first boats to navigate through the inlet was operated by Capt. Walter (Pop) Lyman, a commercial fishermen. During World War II, the Mar Lago Hotel, which overlooked the inlet, was used by the U.S. Coast Guard as a lookout post for enemy submarines. The hotel was torn down before Palm Beach County purchased the property in 1974 to construct Ocean Inlet Park. The jetties and seawalls surrounding the inlet were known as “Fish Haven," and professional anglers, sports fishermen, and families came here to cast their lines into the water. The area has been a sight-seeing destination for both visitors and locals and used for family picnics, birthdays, graduation parties, and other celebrations and gatherings.





F-796 The Robert Neff family,
the Boynton Beach Historical Society,
and The Florida Department of State
2013