Historic Markers Across Florida



Sandoway House And Nature Center



Marker ID: FLHM 
Location: 142 S. Ocean Blvd. Delray Beach
County: Palm Beach
Coordinates:   
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Of state significance, The Sandoway House Nature Center was constructed in 1936 by early Delray Beach resident J.B. Evans. Located at 142 S. Ocean Blvd., this is one of the last remaining Resort Colonial houses in Delray Beach. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2002, the house is open to the public as a nature center in an historical setting. Significant Resort Colonial elements include the board-and-batten siding, the open second-story porch and original double-hung windows. Built during the Great Depression, the only ostentation is the cathedral window on the south side of the residence. The house faces the Atlantic Ocean with all native plants in front, forming a natural dune, and is surrounded by a hammock of native bushes and trees. Purchase and rehabilitation was made possible by public funds from Palm Beach County, the City of Delray Beach, the Florida Communities Trust and the State Division of Historical Resources. Also, many local private and corporate sponsors made the rehabilitation possible.

Sponsors: The City of Delray Beach and the Florida Department of State


Notes:

City: DELRAY Beach, FL