Historic Markers Across Florida



J.B. Evans House also known as The Sandoway House Nature Center



Marker ID: FLHM F-617
Location: At the Sandoway House Nature Center on US A1A, Delray Beach, FL.
County: Palm Beach
Coordinates: N 26° 27.499    W 080° 03.533
  26.45831666    -80.05888333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM4088
 



Text:

J.B. Evans House also known as The Sandoway House Nature Center


The Sandoway House Nature Center was designed as a home by Samuel Ogren, Sr., in 1936 for early Delray Beach winter resident J.B. Evans, a retired produce broker. It is one of the last remaining Resort Colonial Revival houses in Delray Beach. Significant Resort Colonial Revival elements include the board-and-batten siding, the open second-story porch, and original double-hung windows. Built during the Great Depression, the only ostentation is the cathedral window on the south side of the residence. The dune garden and native plantings surrounding the house retain the oceanfront setting that was typical of the neighborhood in the 1930s. In 1998 the house opened to the public as a nature center in an historical setting. Purchase and rehabilitation was made possible through contributions from many local private and corporate sponsors and through public funds from Palm Beach County, the City of Delray Beach, the Florida Communities Trust, and the Florida Department of State. The house was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2002





F-650 A Florida Heritage Site
Sponsored by Palm Beach County,
the City of Delray Beach
and the Florida Department of State
2008



Notes:

City: Delray Beach, FL