Historic Markers Across Florida



Historic Jupiter School



Marker ID: FLHM F-650
Location: on S Loxahatchee Dr at 2nd St, Jupiter, FL
County: Palm Beach
Coordinates: N 26° 55.932    W 080° 05.997
  26.9322    -80.09995
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM7DPP
 



Text:

Historic Jupiter School


This building was constructed in 1927 to serve the town's approximately 100 white students from grades one through twelve. Prior to its construction, students were transported by boat to attend schools along the Loxahatchee River including the 1891 Octagon School, the 1895 west Jupiter School at Sawfish Bay and the 1911 Jupiter School on Town Hall Avenue. African-American students attended a separate two-room schoolhouse in Limestone Creek through eighth grade until 1961, when Iris Hunter became the first black student at Jupiter School. Following the 1928 hurricane, both black and white area residents sought shelter in the school until they could safely return to their homes. Costing $150,000, the new school had modern amenities including a library, science lab and an auditorium complete with stage for the arts. The build whose architect was William Manley King, is an excellent example of Mediterranean Revival architecture, displaying many elements of the style including a low-pitch tile roof, stucco finish, arches and a Venetian Gothic arcade on twisted columns. The Jupiter School served as the town's primary educational facility until 1965 when the new Jupiter High School was opened on Toney Penna Drive.





F-650 School board of PBCO
and the Florida Department of State
2009



Notes:

City: Jupiter, FL