Historic Markers Across Florida



Nassau Park Historic District



Marker ID: FLHM F-661
Location: Venetian Dr and Nassau St, Delray Beach, FL
County: Palm Beach
Coordinates: N 26° 27.401    W 080° 03.721
  26.45668333    -80.06201666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMRTX0
 



Text:

Nassau Park Historic District


Nassau Park, Delray Beach’s first locally designated historic district, spans two blocks along Nassau Street from South Ocean Boulevard to Venetian Drive. In 1935, a newspaper ad for Ray-Del Realty Co. described Nassau Park as “West Indian Charm Along Delray Shores." Originally Jo-Jo Avenue, Nassau Street was renamed by developer R.C. MacNeil, who commissioned architect Sam Ogren, Sr. to design the first house in 1935. Primarily developed between 1935 and 1941, the residential neighborhood contains cottages built in the Colonial-Cape Revival style which incorporate architectural detailing derived from early wooden folk houses of Eastern Massachusetts. The original 18 houses built from 1935-1941 retain their dominant architectural elements such as accentuated front doors with overhead fanlights, and carved wood detailing. Nassau Street evokes a time during the 1930s when the winter colony relaxed in discreet small-scale cottages surrounded by natural beauty. The natural topography is a vital element in the aesthetics of the historic streetscape. The City of Delray Beach designated the Nassau Park Historic District in 1988.





F-661
A Florida Heritage Site
The City of Delray Beach, the Delray Beach Historical Society
and the Florida Department of State
2009