Historic Markers Across Florida



Del-Ida Park Historic District



Marker ID: FLHM F-666
Location: on George Bush Blvd at 2nd Ave., Delray Beach, FL
County: Palm Beach
Coordinates: N 26° 28.430    W 080° 04.277
  26.47383333    -80.07128333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM7T8B
 



Text:

Del~Ida Park Historic District


The Del~Ida Park subdivision was first recorded on September 18, 1923. Motivated by patriotic spirit and the optimism of Florida's land boom, Del~Ida Park originally contained street's named after six U.S. Presidents. Mr. J.C. Secord of Miami organized the Ocean City Development Company and purchased the 58-acre tract containing 300 lots and three pie-shaped public parks. Within days of it's recording, it was reported that "Del~Ida Park is growing fast", as 58 lots had been sold. Mr. Frederick Henry Link, a former craftsman at Addison Mizner Industries in West Palm Beach, purchased several lots and served as the sub-division general contractor. In 1923, he began construction of his own home at 524 NE 2nd Avenue. Built in the Mediterranean Revival style, the house started the trend for such designs which remained popular through 1930. Link's daughter, Catherine Link Strong, lived on Dixie Boulevard as an adult and was Delray Beach's first woman mayor in 1954. Originally a rather elite development, the real estate bust left the area without much growth and development until the 1940's and later. The City of Delray Beach designated the Del~Ida Park historic District in1988.





F-666 City of Delray Beach and the Florida Department of State 2009



Notes:

City: Delray Beach, FL