Historic Markers Across Florida



West Settlers Historical District



Marker ID: FLHM F-667
Location: NW 4th Ave and NW 2nd St., Delray Beach, FL
County: Palm Beach
Coordinates: N 26° 27.910    W 080° 04.637
  26.46516666    -80.07728333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMRTXJ
 



Text:

West Settlers Historical District


Established in 1894, the West Settlers area is the site of the first African-American settlement in Delray Beach. African-Americans from the north and west Florida, Georgia and South Carolina were the first non-Native Americans in the area, laying the foundation of a strong agricultural economy in the region. The community was self-sufficient and settlers utilized local materials and their own construction knowledge. Known as the “Red Line” for the painted tin roofs, the “shot gun” houses that once occupied the east side of NW 3rd Avenue were developed for Henry Flagler’s railroad workers. Isaiah Bruin, one of the community’s earliest builders, constructed many residences along NW 3rd and 4th Avenues, including the Susan Williams House, which is now located at the S.D. Spady Cultural Complex on NW 5th Avenue. The La France Hostel (1949), located at 140 NW 4th Avenue, was once the only hotel in Delray Beach that welcomed African-Americans during segregation. Owned by Charles and Francenia Patrick, the hotel welcomed celebrated black musicians and civil rights figures. The Patricks built their homestead next door at 400 NW 2nd Street. In 1997, the community was locally designated the West Settlers Historic District.





F-667 A Florida Heritage Site
The City of Delray Beach,
the Delray Beach Community Redevelopment Agency
and the Florida Department of State
2009



Notes:

A similar marker is located at 60 NW 5th Ave