Historic Markers Across Florida



Little Red Schoolhouse-First Schoolhouse in Southeast Florida



Marker ID: FLHM F-694
Location: 2185 South Ocean Blvd, Palm Beach, FL
County: Palm Beach
Coordinates: N 26° 38.410    W 080° 02.342
  26.64016666    -80.03903333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMRV5Q
 



Text:

Little Red Schoolhouse-First Schoolhouse in Southeast Florida


Founded in 1886 as a community project, the Little Red Schoolhouse was the first one-room school built in southeast Florida. With $200 of limber from the Dade County School Board, the men of the community, led by George W. Lainhart, volunteered their labor to construct the 22-by-40-foot building. The school’s original location was one mile north of the Flagler Memorial Bridge on Lake Trail on land donated by the David Brown and John C. Hoagland families. The Ladies Aid Society raised additional money for the school’s furnishings. Sixteen-year-old Hattie Gale taught the first class of eight students ranging in age from six to seventeen. Pupils arrived by boat, bicycle, or on foot. The school served families around Lake Worth until 190I. It was then turned into a gardener’s shed on the John S. Phipps property. In 1960 the structure was moved to Phipps Ocean Park and renovated by the Gardeners Society of Palm Beach.





F-694 The Preservation Foundation of Palm Beach
and the Florida Department of State
2010