Historic Markers Across Florida



West Palm Beach Fishing Club



Marker ID: FLHM F-975
Location: 201 Fifth St, West Palm Beach, FL
County: Palm Beach
Coordinates: N 26° 43.075    W 080° 03.035
  26.71791666    -80.05058333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMYYDD
 



Text:

West Palm Beach
Fishing Club


Founded in 1934, the West Palm Beach Fishing Club (WPBFC) is among the last of Florida's great angling clubs. It was pivotal in boosting Florida tourism during and after the Great Depression and promoting the appeal of sport fishing. The club’s Silver Sailfish Derby, launched in 1935, is the forerunner of all billfish (e.g., sailfish and marlin) tournaments worldwide. WPBFC pioneered the display of red catch-and-release pennants in 1938. Recognizing its enormous impact, the City of West Palm Beach partnered with the club to build this clubhouse in 1940 on land donated by the Florida East Coast Railway. At the time, the county's largest charter fishing fleet was located across the street. A portion of the building once housed the City’s Recreation Commission and later a state-operated marine laboratory. The WPBFC is a leader in marine conservation and has benefited from the membership of such luminaries as boat builder John Rybovich, marine scientist Frank Mather, baseball great Ted Williams, golf legends Sam Snead and Jack Nicklaus, and author Ernest Hemingway. The WPBFC is a repository of local fishing memorabilia and historic game fish mounts. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2016.





F-975 A Florida Heritage Landmark
Sponsored by The West Palm Beach Fishing Club, City of West Palm Beach
and the Florida Department of State
2017