Historic Markers Across Florida



City of Delray Beach History



Marker ID:  
Location: B.F. James and Frances Jane Bright Mini-Park on NW 5th Ave just north of Atlantic Ave, Delray Beach, FL
County: Palm Beach
Coordinates: N 26° 27.780    W 080° 04.687
  26.463    -80.07811666
Style: Mounted **
Waymark: WMRTZG
 



Text:

City of Delray Beach History


City of Delray Beach, in recognition of these Organizations’ contributions to the cultural development of Delray Beach, the City Commission designated these locations as historic sites on April 11, 1989.

1895 School No. 4 Delray Colored, located at this site
1896 Greater Mt. Olive Missionary Baptist Church, 40 Northwest Fourth Avenue
1897 St. Paul African Methodist Episcopal Church, 119 Northwest Fifth Avenue
1899 Free and Accepted Masons, Lodge 275, 85 Northwest Fifth Avenue
1911 St. Matthew Episcopal Church, 404 Southwest Third Street

Late in the 19th century, a group of black settlers established a community in this area that became part of the Town of Linton and later the City of Delray Beach. These hardy pioneers established the cultural organization necessary to foster education, fellowship and spiritual needs, despite difficult environmental conditions and isolation.

The Delray Beach Historic Preservation Board