Historic Markers Across Florida



Royal Poinciana Chapel



Marker ID: DAR 
Location: on the wall of the chapel at 60 Cocoanut Row, Palm Beach, FL
County: Palm Beach
Coordinates: N 26° 42.782    W 080° 02.522
  26.71303333    -80.04203333
Style: Mounted **
Waymark: WMRV5J
 



Text:

Royal Poinciana Chapel


This Interdenominational Chapel was the earliest church organization in Dade County (of which Palm Beach County was a part). The chapel was founded in 1884 under the auspices of the Home Missionary Society of the Congregational Church by Rev. A.B. Dilley. The first school house in the county was built also to accommodate the Sabbath worshippers. The present church building, erected on a site donated by Henry M. Flagler and later enlarged, opened in December 1895. Dr. S.M. Lindsay, the minister, calls the chapel “One of God’s service stations on the highway of life."





Seminole Chapter,
Daughters of the American Revolution
1975